by Orson Scott Card
ISBN 978-0765304964 (TOR)
This is an all-new direct sequel to Ender’s Game. It sits between chapters 14 & 15 of Ender’s Game, ie. after Battle School, detailing Ender’s first task as Governor of the first colony (Shakespeare) and followup discovery of Bean’s lost child (on Ganges).
Now that the first colony has a name future editions of the later Ender books may be edited for consistency.
The book covers the
- dispersal of Enders friends (battle staff) as they return Earth
- controversy that keeps Ender in space, and destined for Governorship of the first colony
- discovery of the last Hive Queen cocoon
- writing “The Hive Queen” and “The Hegemon” under the pseudonym Speaker for the Dead
- traveling to the second colony (Ganges) to rescue Bean’s son from himself (misconceptions as to his parentage lead him to believe he is the son of the villain Achilles – see the Shadow Series)
Verdict: This book is every bit as good as any of the other books in the Ender and Shadow series. An excellent read – highly recommended – In fact, I recommend the entire series as good reading.
Now I want to re-read the other books in the original series, starting with Speaker for the Dead.